Thursday, July 12

Are There Bicycle Gods?


Several times now, my wife has told me that I should have a go at a 'cross season this year, She says that I should do some actual cross workouts kit up for some races and see what happens.  She's said that she'd be happy to go and cheer me on from the other side of the tape.  I know that she is sincere, but I also know that it pains her a bit to say such things.  She's loved 'cross much more deeply than I have and perhaps ever will.  Standing at the tape will invoke some feelings and emotions that can only come from a cross race and can only be felt by someone who has truly loved it.  My typical response has been simply to smile and say, we'll see, Babe - which is my roundabout way of saying that I'm not terribly interested in that.  Yesterday was the first time that I've said anything positive about cross this year - to anyone.
_________________________________________________________________________________

This morning I was running a bit late and I was scrambling to round up my gear for a lunch ride - Scrambler... remember?  I got everything together and reached for the road bike...Of course it has a flat tire.  Rather than fight with a new tube, kill another 15 minutes dicking around in the garage, and inevitably get grease or tire grime on my dress shirt; I grabbed the busted up Redline.

I can't remember the last time that I've had a flat on the road bike...  Of course it happened on this morning.  What the Shit?  Once in a while things like this happen.  Flat tires happen.  I get it.  Now, I'm a realist and I'm hesitant to believe in higher powers.  But can my first flat tire in thousands of miles of tarmac, gravel and the occasional singletrack be just an eery coincidence.  Or is it a sign.  I don't have the answer, but I know that I'm almost hesitant to go for that lunch ride today... almost. There are some gravel roads around that I've not yet gone down and they look perfect for some 32's...  Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment